2019-02-13 / Community

News Around Us

Bainbridge - The trial for the murderers of Hubert Moore, a Post- Searchlight employee who was shot and killed on October 2017, will begin Monday, Feb. 11, in Decatur County.

Louis Lamorris Ousley, 29, Thaddas Nundra, 38, and Ronnie Denardo McFadden were arrested by Bainbridge Public Safety in October 2017 and charged with felony murder and criminal attempt of armed robbery. Nundra is also being charged with malice murder for allegedly killing Moore.

Prosecutors are using a new DNA technology for the first time in Georgia at the trial. According to evidence produced by the True Allele technology, which is able to analyze mingled DNA on guns to determine who pulled the trigger, Nundra is believed to be the main culprit for Moore’s murder.

Each of the three suspects has extensive criminal backgrounds, according to BPS.

During the homicide investigation, BPS was led to the three individuals after local business cameras and other informants identified them as possibly involved with the incident.

Moore, a Post-Searchlight delivery driver, was getting into a truck to begin his route when he was shot and killed around 6:30 a.m.

Officers responded to a call of a shooting at the intersection of West Jackson and North Florida streets behind The Post-Searchlight building. When first responders arrived on scene, they found Moore lying on the ground by the door of the delivery truck. Officers attempted CPR. Moore was pronounced dead a few minutes later.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation handled the investigation.

Cairo - An argument between men Saturday night turned into one having his face slashed with a box cutter, according to Cairo Police.

The men live at the same address at 1220 Eighth Avenue where the incident happened Saturday around 10:19 p.m.

When patrol officer Donnie Roland arrived at the scene, he reports seeing blood on the floor, chairs and sofa, and finding an open box cutter on the floor.

Witnesses told Roland that the victim, Marvin Beltrain, 31, had pushed the attacker for talking bad about Beltrain’s brother. The witnesses said Francisco Deleon, 22, then grabbed a box cutter and cut Beltrain on his left cheek and under his eye.

Deleon left the scene, but when called on the phone by the witness, claimed that he was at a store on Fifth Street. Police searched the area but were unable to locate Delcon.

Patrol Officer Roland returned to the scene to gather more information and witnesses told Roland that Deleon had returned to the house and ripped an air conditioner unit out of a window, damaging it, and then gotten into a truck parked in the yard.

Officer Roland stated that he found Deleon lying underneath the truck and placed him under arrest. Roland stated the young man was too intoxicated to be processed and was taken to Grady Detention Center, and warrants were taken against him for charges of aggravated assault and criminal trespass.

Camilla - Mitchell County law enforcement and local investigators put their heads together in order to assist the Thomas County Sheriff’s Department in locating a fugitive wanted in connection with an armed robbery at Aiden’s in Meigs.

Law enforcement executed an arrest warrant for Fitzerald Mitchell last week that wound up with deputies pursuing the suspect on foot. Eventually succumbing to the combined efforts of the department, Mr. Mitchell was summarily arrested and taken to Thomas County to await his first court appearance.

The Thomas County Sheriff ’ s Office requested the assistance of Mitchell County, Pelham, and Camilla law enforcement in the apprehension, as it was discovered that Mr. Mitchell had been living just north of Pelham.

Action was soon to follow as deputies and police wasted no time in pursuing this lead.

Another violent criminal is off the street, and all offices involved were uninjured.

Dawson - A Terrell County woman died in a house fire which occurred at a residence on School House Road Saturday morning, January 26, Terrell Coroner James C. Hamby reported this week.

Mr. Hamby had not released the name of the victim when The News went to press, pending notification of family members.

Mr. Hamby said another person was hurt in the fire and was air-lifted to the Augusta Medical Burn Center.

According to Terrell Fire Department Chief Edward Harvey, four local fire department units were dispatched to the scene at 10:20 a.m. Saturday.

According to officers, firefighters found the house fully engulfed in flames upon arrival.

Return to top