2017-10-11 / Community

Area News Around Us

Bainbridge - Cridarrion Byrd, 18, was arrested Sunday after breaking into the El Chagarro and stealing the cash register.

Officer Joshua Glover was dispatched to the El Chagarro after the business alarm began to go off.

Officers Jason Hayes and Jayson Myers also arrived on the scene and noticed a pair of shoe prints in the sand, both being from a Nike shoe.

Upon entering the business, Glover noticed a spinning rack containing potato chips lying on its side in the front left corner and the deadbolt to the door lying on the floor. The cash register that belonged to the store was unable to be located, but a wooden chisel with a black handle was lying on the counter.

Investigator Chip Nix then arrived on scene to observe and process. The owner of the store, Rudy Cruz was contacted and advised the cash register was missing. Cruz said the chisel did not belong to him and he said he noticed a window on the west side of the building was broken. Cruz pulled up the security footage for Nix to view.

In the footage, Nix saw a black male ride a bike into the yard on the southeast side of the building and walk to the front door and grab the doorknob. Byrd immediately noticed the security camera and pulled the camera angle down towards the ground. Byrd then slung the door open and grabbed the cash register, leaving his chisel inside and pulling a hoodie over his head.

Nix recognized Byrd from an earlier burglary that took place a few weeks ago. Byrd burglarized a home, taking assault rifles and a TV. set. Nix called Officer Davina Evans to see if she had an address for Byrd, which was only two blocks from the scene.

While canvasing the area, officers found a vacant house about two blocks down from the scene where Byrd had barricaded himself.

Nix has reason to believe Byrd may be connected to another string of burglaries that took place in the area earlier on Saturday, because of Byrd’s habitual violations and will continue to look into those allegations.

Cairo - Cairo police arrested a fan of Bainbridge High School during the football game against Cairo High School Friday night after the fan allegedly refused to follow a police order.

Held at Cairo’s West Thomas Stadium, the game attracted a large number of fans for both teams. Seats in the end zone, though included fans from both teams.

When Bainbridge fans tried to purchase concessions from the home side concession stand, issues arose, according to Cairo police, so officers and CHS officials began redirecting Bainbridge fans to the visitor’s side concession stand. Most complied without issue until a 25-year-old Bainbridge man told Cairo Police Officer Michael Logue that he wanted to wait with his cousin.

Logue and Cairo Police Sgt. Tyron Griffin reportedly told the man to wait in the stands, but later saw him trying to sneak into the Cairo area. Logue then told the man he had to leave the stadium, but he refused to go, so Logue placed him under arrest for obstruction.

While walking with Logue to the police car, the man kept trying to stop and talk to bystanders. At the police car, he allegedly refused to get in the backseat.

When a school official with Bainbridge High, who the suspect identified as his uncle arrived at the scene, the officer said he would release the man to the uncle if he agreed to escort him out of the stadium.

However, when Logue began to remove the handcuffs, the suspect pleaded with his uncle that he shouldn’t have to leave. Officer Logue decided then “there was no reasoning with” the suspect and left him in custody.

Camilla - Mitchell County Sheriff’s Deputy Alan Williams responded to Mitchell County Hospital’s Emergency Room on Thursday, September 28. He met with Robinson Jenkins, who is a resident of Pelham, who had been severely beaten.

Jenkins stated that he and his wife had an argument before he left for work. While he was at work, Mrs. Jenkins visited the job site and was looking for her husband. Jenkins was not at his work site at the time of her visit, so she left without encountering Jenkins.

Later that day, Jenkins returned home, upon which time he and his wife began to argue. Jenkins left his home and walked next door to Mitchell Moates’ house, who happens to be Mrs. Jenkins’ uncle. It was while he was at Moates’ house that he claims that James Weeks, his father-in-law, hit him in the face with a stick.

While he was backing away from Weeks, Jenkins claims that Weeks hit him on his forearm. Jenkins stated that he moved away from Weeks in order to prevent being assaulted further. Jenkins claimed that it was at this time that Nick Weeks, his brother-in-law, then exited Moates’ home and began to assault him about the face with a flashlight.

Jenkins claimed that at some point, he fell to the ground as Nick and James Weeks continued to kick and punch him about the head. During the beating, his wife called his boss, Michel Vest, and told him that her family was beating Jenkins.

Vest drove to the location and picked Jenkins up and took him to the emergency room for treatment of his wounds. Mitchell County Sheriff’s deputies arrested Mitchell Moates, James Weeks, and Nick Weeks for aggravated assault, assault and battery, and aggravated assault with other weapon.

Return to top