2008-05-14 / Front Page

Home business lost to fire

by MCL staff writer

Firemen answer call for help. Firemen answer call for help. The building and all of the contents of a home business on the corner of Pine and Phillips streets were completely destroyed by fireon Wednesday, May 7.

The Colquitt/Miller County Volunteer Fire Department was called to extinguish the flames at approximately 10:20 a.m. The entire building that contained equipment for an automotive shop was completely engulfed with flames when the fire department arrived. The firemen extinguished the flames in minutes keeping the hot flames away from vehicles and a home nearby.

The owner, Ralph Burke, of 121 Phillips Street, stated that he was using a torch to heat an exhaust pipe, and a spark ignited an area of the shop. Before he knew it, the flames were up the walls and all over the shop. By the time someone could call E911 to dispatch the Colquitt/Miller County Volunteer Fire Department, the entire structure was completely involved. The firemen had the fireunder control and completely extinguished in minutes after they arrived.

"I wish we could have been called quicker, and we might have saved more. We did save some dogs, a vehicle and the nearby home from catching up," a fireman said.

Mr. Burke, stated, "I guess I'll retire now. I didn't have a dime of insurance on the shop or my equipment."

Return to top