2007-09-12 / Front Page

Ride-by shooting suspect arrested

by MCL staff writer

Window shot twice with shotgun blasts as homeowner was on the sofa just below the window. Window shot twice with shotgun blasts as homeowner was on the sofa just below the window. On September 3, at approximately 2:30 a.m., Anthony Duncan of 166 Grassy Flats Road was awakened from his sleep by a loud noise. He was sleeping on the sofa, just under the window. He stated that he thought that there had been some wind, and a tree limb had fallen on the roof or the side of his home. He stated that he got up and went to bed. His daughter who normally was at home had gone to spend the night with her grandparents.

The same morning at approximately 8:00 a.m. when the homeowner went out to check the damage, he discovered that his window had been shot out with a shotgun. He called the sheriff's office to report the incident.

An investigation was started by Sheriff H.E. Glass. During the investigation, the sheriff was informed of the alleged parties involved in the shooting incident.

After conducting several interviews with different people, enough evidence was obtained so that warrants could be issued on the shooter. The warrants were for aggravated assault and criminal damage to property in the first degree.

Sheriff Glass contacted Mark Merritt Jr. and advised him of the situation and the warrants. The sheriff stated that Merritt could come in and give himself up or he would be there to arrest him.

Mark Merritt Jr., 24, of 204 Avenue Road, turned himself in to the sheriff on Satur- day, September 8. He was booked and placed in the Miller County Jail pending a bond hearing.

The case is still under investigation, and there could be more subjects charged depending on the outcome of the investigation.

The homeowner, Anthony Duncan, was the person who told law officers where the gun could be found that shot up the Miller County Liberal back in early June. The gun that shot the newspaper officewas found to be owned by Mark Merritt Jr.

No arrest has been made in that case, but it is still under investigation by local law enforcement officersand the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Return to top