2007-09-05 / School & Sports

Warriors tame Wildcats

submitted by Paul Bridges

 Here come the Warriors! Here come the Warriors! The SGA Warriors traveled over to Camilla Thursday, August 30, to kick off the 2007 football season. The Warriors were trailing 13-0 but had the ball and a first down on the Wildcats 21 yard line with 8:49 left in the fourth quarter when the teams were forced from the field because of lightning. The weather grew increasingly worse, and after a lengthy delay, the game was called. The two teams are scheduled to finish the game Monday night.

The Warriors received the opening kickoff, and Miles Lee returned it out to the 33- yard line. QB Drew Bridges passed to Alex Wilson for a 17 yard gain on first down, but the Warriors' offense stalled, and SGA was forced to punt. Westwood muffed the punt, and the Warriors recovered at the Wildcats' 19 yard line. SGA could not capitalize and turned the ball over on downs.

Westwood took possession of the ball at the 22-yard line and marched 78 yards on 12 plays to take a 6-0 lead at the 3:49 mark of the first quarter.

The game turned into a defensive struggle as neither team was able to mount an offensive threat until late in the second quarter. SGA took possession of the ball at its own 34-yard line. Wilson ripped off runs of 14 and 12 yards, and Bridges passed to Beau Clenney for another 12 yard gain as the Warriors moved the ball down to the Westwood 11-yard line. With seconds left in the first half, SGA attempted and missed a field goal and went into halftime down 6-0.

Warriors rally on Monday to defeat the Wildcats Warriors rally on Monday to defeat the Wildcats Westwood struck like the lightning to start the second half, returning the kickoff for a touchdown to extend their lead to 13-0.

On SGA's first play of the second half, the Warriors fumbled giving the Wildcats the ball on SGA's 27-yard line. The Warrior defense, led by Lee, Wilson, and Will Brown, stuffed the Wildcats, forcing them to try a long field goal that was no good.

After swapping punts a couple times with just over 10 minutes left in the game, the Warriors took possession of the ball at their own 10- yard line. Miles Lee took the ball and raced around the right end for a 47 yard gain to give SGA the ball in Westwood territory. On a crucial fourth down play, Bridges passed to Keaton Smith for a 22-yard gain and a first down at the Westwood 21-yard line.

Then the lightning came, and the players went to the locker rooms. The wind and a Noah-type rain joined the party. After over an hour with no let-up in sight, the end of the game was postponed, with the game to be finished Monday night.

The Warriors return to Damascus for the home opener Friday night against Terrell Academy at 8 p.m.

Monday Night

The SGA Warriors traveled over to Camilla Monday night to finish their season opener against Westwood that was called due to bad weather Thursday night. The game picked up right where it left off Thursday with SGA trailing the Wildcats 13-0 but SGA had possession of the ball at Westwood's 23-yard line with 8:49 left to play in the game. Warriors' head coach David Bell had the perfect first play picked out and the Warriors executed it to perfection. Drew Bridges passed to a wide open Alex Wilson for the touchdown and Chandler Ray kicked the all important extra point to make it a 13-7 ballgame.

After trading punts with Westwood, SGA got the ball at their own 46-yard line with 1:19 left on the clock. Bridges completed passes to Beau Clenney and Wilson giving SGA a first down at the Wildcats 40-yard line. Bridges then threw the deep ball to Miles Lee, who made a sensational catch and ran it in to tie the game at 13-13 with 45 seconds left in the game. Ray nailed the extra point kick right down the middle to put SGA up 14-13.

The Warrior defense held Westwood securing the Warriors' victory.

The Warriors played great and executed almost to perfection in coming back to defeat Westwood. Bridges completed 8 of 9 passes for 109 yards and 2 touchdowns. The Warrior defense allowed Westwood only one first down. It took 4 days, but that just made the victory that much sweeter. GO WARRIORS!

Return to top